Some of these procedures will help you repair computer problems like bugs, slow computer or viruses. However the main focus is on maintining optimum performance and avoid computer repairs.
Internet temporary Files flushing
This process is made to remove most spywares, protect your browsing privacy and reduce your hard drive query time.
- Open internet Explorer.
- Click on Tools, select Internet Options. (You can access the same window by going to Windows Control Panel and click on Internet Options)
- Click on Delete Cookies, then click OK when prompted (it may take a couple of minutes).
- When done click on Delete Files, make sure to put a checkmark in the box next to Delete all offline content, then click OK (it may again take some time again).
- When done click on Clear History, then click Yes when prompted, (it may also take a few minutes).
Clear miscellaneous files
Sometimes the computer slows down because it is clogged with old useless files. Every time you try to access some data it has to go over those old files, decide whether it is the file that it is looking for and only then continue to scan for the right file (or sector).
- Click on Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools, then select Disk Cleanup. When prompted choose C: (the partition where your operating system resides). It may take some time
- You will get the choice to delete selected folders. Put a checkmark in front of all folders except compressed old files, then click OK and then click Yes when prompted.
Check for errors in your C: drive
- Go to My Computer (or simply open Windows Explorer),
- Right click on your C:, select properties, select the tab Tools, click on check now.
- In the error checking sub menu, checkmark both options to automatically fix sectors and attempt recovery, then click Start (you may get the message whereas your computer will be checked next time it is restarted, click OK. Restart your computer).
Delete files in your recycle bin
- On your Desktop find the icon with a Recycling bin on it (or open My Computer),
- Right Click on the recycle bin icon then select Empty recycle bin.
Reorganize your files for fast access
- Click on Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then system tools, the select Disk Defragmenter (or Go to My Computer, Right click on your C:, select properties, select the tab Tools and click on Defragment Now).
Select C: and click Defrag, it may take between a few minutes to a few hours, be patient. You may run Disk Defragmenter 2 or 3 times in a row to improve Defragmentation.
Clean your computer
- Open the side panel of your computer, then take a compressed air spray (available in most computer electronic shops) and remove all the dust that you can see. You will probably see a fan sitting on a piece of metal, towards the middle of your computer motherboard It is the cooling fan for your CPU, try cleaning it as well as the piece of metal underneath it.
That would substantially increase the life and speed of your computer.
Note: make sure not to damage your computer with static electricity. (you are liable for your own action if you damage anything) .
Minimum Internet security:Firewall
Whether you are on Dial-up Internet or High-Speed DSL a Firewall is a must.
A Firewall blocks intruders from accessing your computer, it also prevents information exiting your computer. Best of all, it does not use much resources from your computer. You may already have a hardware firewall installed on your modem or router so read your owners manual to set it up. Otherwise you may use a software based firewall with such providers as Norton Internet Security or ZoneAlarm.
Standard Internet security: Antivirus
Associated to a Firewall, an AntiVirus is highly recommended. mainly if you download files from the internet, whether it is softwares, emails, pictures, movies...
You have a few choices, a great antivirus that works in the background without needing your input is Norton Antivirus. The next best choice is Kaspersky Antivirus that has the best performance but need a little attention at times. Finally, a free antivirus such as AVGuard is better than nothing. The drawback about antiviruses is that they take lots of resources from your computer, making them slow at times. As a final thought, keep in mind that an antivirus without the updates is close to useless.
Associated to a Firewall and an AntiVirus, the last protection that you should have, is a Spyware protection.These are different from virus in that they collect data from your browser such as your keystrokes or the sites that you visit or your downloads.
The most effective one is spysweeper by Webroot, there are also less effective ones that are free such as AdAware or Spybot but free versions are no too efficient. Again remember to update your product regularly.
Premium Internet security: Browser
Another form of protection may be to use a different Browser than Internet Explorer.
Free Browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Opera are less commonly used and thus less prone to hackers (that concentrate on having the most targets). Best of all these other browsers are Open Source (free) and improved by top IT specialist to be the most secured and practical.
Optimum Internet security: Yourself
Finally, keep in mind that the best protection is by prevention. Try to surf the net on safe sites, avoid adult sites, open email from unknown senders, download files from unreliable sources, and pay attention to where you click!.
To request a technician contact us